Many parents misinterpret their children's abilities until they see what their children can do.
Many people force their children to study and believe that hobbies such as needlework is meaningless until they buy them a sewing machine with which the child can develop his full potential of creation.
Sewing is not an example of the context I just said. I'm really referring to needlework as a part of creating artworks on cloth!
Needlework is a hobby orientation that parents should consider for their children. Some children like to have a sewing machine to sew on their homework crafts, or to help their parents by sewing their own tiny socks.
Extremely commendable! What’s more?
Needlework also helps children build a meticulous, careful, ingenious personality.
And maybe thanks to needlework, they develop their right brains immensely and become designers in the future.
Speaking of sewing machines, I have just come up with some ideas of the best sewing machines for kids.
What Is a Sewing Machine for Kids?
Sewing machines for children are sewing machines with features suitable for the needs of children.
What does a child need in a sewing machine? You may wonder.
The first reason they ask you to buy a sewing machine is that they have just finished reading Sleeping Beauty and want to use a sewing needle to help them legibly sleep all the time.
Just kidding! When children want a sewing machine, they want to practice a new game. Make sure this is a safe game because sewing needles are not a toy.
So, choose a sewing machine with the simplest features to ensure your babies can sew crafts, doll toys or small clothes like socks, gloves, towels ...
A branded sewing machine is necessary to ensure that your child does not get electrocuted.
A sewing machine for children should also be made of lightweight material so that they can take it to class.
Which Brands Produce the Best Sewing Machines for Kids?
Sewing machines for children are being targeted by many big brands like Brother, Singer, or Janome. Surprisingly, many small manufacturers have long struck this niche market and have been successful with the sewing machine line for children.
Sewing machines for children are often diverse in color, minimalistic in function, safe and lightweight, easy to use in all circumstances.
The lesser-known brands will sell sewing machines at a much affordable price for most people. Children are also considered to be rebellious, destructive and exploratory so parents are usually not too concerned about branding or high-quality requirements.
However, sewing machines from small brands are often made from unstable and easily damaged materials.
In my suggestion, if your child is passionate about developing an artistic hobby such as needlework, look for sewing machines of guaranteed quality and long-term use.
What Are The Best Sewing Machines For Kids?
You might ask, after all I have said, how to be considered the best sewing machine for kids?
You’ll give me the benefit of the doubt when I’m showing you my collection of 12 best sewing machines for kids right below:
- Best Overall: Singer Simple 3232 Sewing Machine
Provides 32 built-in stitches, 1-step buttonhole, maximum speed of 750 SPM
- Best Budget: BrotherXM2701 Sewing Machine
27 stitches including 1 buttonhole, 6 sewing feet and free arm
- Best Easy To Use: Janome 2212 Sewing Machine
Comprehensible configurations, 12 essential stitches, push and pull bobbin winder, vertical spool pins
- Best For Dressmaking: Brother CS5055PRW Sewing Machine
Comes loaded with 50 distinctive stitches, one auto-sized buttonhole, jam-proof bobbin system, and ultralightweight
- Best with Extension Table: Varmax Mini Sewing Machine
Comes in a mini size but enhanced with large table, can sew sleeves, 2-speed control
- Best Computerized : Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
Rich in patterns with 60 built-in stitches, 7 1-step buttonholes, LCD display
- Best For Making Crafts: NEX Sewing Machine
Supplies you with 12 essential built-in stitches, light bulb, can sew with battery or DC 6V
- Best Mini: KPCB Mini Sewing Machine
Made of environmental material, attached with a wide table, automatic bobbin rewinder, dual speeds
- Best Portable: WADEO Mini Sewing Machine
Comes in 2 options for most functions: double switches, double threads, two speeds, built-in thread cutter
- Best For Small Projects: HAITRAL Portable Sewing Machine
Can start and sew with dual power switches, brightly lit sewing area, 2 power supplies
- Best Heavy Duty Projects: Singer 4423 Sewing Machine
Can sew heavy-duty projects with 23 built-in stitches, automatic needle threader, high speed
- Best Beginners: Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
Will not confuse new sewers with 6 built-in stitches, free arm, heavy-duty metal frame
- Best Handheld: Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine
Cordless, 2 power supplies, can sew in tricky positions
- Best Teenagers: Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine
Great for teenagers with 15 built-in stitches, adjustable stitch width and length, 3-piece feed dog
- Best Safety: Janome Graceful Sewing Machine
Safe for your child with 11 built-in stitches, free arm, finger guard for kids’ fingers
Top 12 Best Sewing Machines For Kids 2020
I will take you on a stroll through the specs and special features you need to know about 12 best sewing machines for kids I have mentioned above:
|Singer Simple 3232 - Best overall||15 x 7.5 x 12 inches||12.25 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||32 built-in stitches, 1-step buttonhole, 750 SPM, heavy-duty frame|
|Varmax Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table - Best with extension table||6.9 x 3.5 x 8.6 inches||2.7 pounds||1 year||Mini-sized, large table, can sew sleeves, 2-speed control|
|NEX Sewing Machine - Best for making crafts||10.6 x 4.7 x 9 inches||5.8 pounds||Not specified||12 built-in stitches, light bulb, sew with battery or DC 6V|
|KPCB Mini Sewing Machine - Best mini sewing machines for kids||8.6 x 3.5 x 6.9 inches||2.4 pounds||Not specified||Made of environmental material, wide table, automatic bobbin rewinder, dual speeds|
|WADEO Mini Sewing Machine - Best portable sewing machines for kids||8.9 x 8.2 x 5 inches||1.9 pounds||Not specified||Double switches, double threads, two speeds, built-in thread cutter|
|HAITRAL Portable Sewing Machine - Best for small projects||7 x 8.5 x 3.5 inches||2 pounds||Not specified||Dual power switches, brightly lit sewing area, 2 power supplies|
|Singer Heavy Duty 4423 - Best for heavy duty projects||15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches||17.1 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||23 built-in stitches, automatic needle threader, high speed|
|Singer Start 1304 - Best for beginners||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches||9.8 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||6 built-in stitches, free arm, heavy-duty metal frame|
|Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine - Best handheld||8.7 x 3.5 x 2 inches||11 ounces||180-day Products Exchange and Money Back||Cordless, 2 power supplies, can sew in tricky positions|
|Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine - Best for teenagers||16 x 7 x 12 inches||12 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||15 built-in stitches, adjustable stitch width and length, 3-piece feed dog|
|Janome Graceful - Best safety||10.5 x 5 x 9 inches||5 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||11 built-in stitches, free arm, finger guard for kids’ fingers|
|Brother CS6000i - Best computerized sewing machines for kids||16 x 6.7 x 11.4 inches||13 pounds||Limited 25-year warranty||60 built-in stitches, 7 1-step buttonholes, LCD display|
Best Sewing Machines for Kids Reviews 2020
All the above sewing machines are the best for children according to their needs. But I would be happy to accompany you to each product to know their strengths and weaknesses.
Singer 3232 Sewing Machine
Can be a bit heavier than kids’ sewing machines but Singer Simple 3232 is a wise choice for your kids from elementary schools to their teenage time.
Singer Simple is constructed on a heavy-duty metal frame that maintains its durability and stability while sewing. Your kids will have a lifetime companion if they know how to maintain it the right way.
The Simple 3232 provides your kids with 32 built-in stitches including 1 buttonhole, which is more than enough for any kids’ sewing projects. Those stitches are illustrated on the stitch collector.
By dialing this knob your kids will find it easy to choose their favorite stitches.
To reinforce the inexperience seams, the kids can press on a reverse lever built on the front of the machine
This model comes with many accessories that are packed in the storage which is a compartment of the bedplate.
A free arm to tackle cylindrical items such as sleeves and pant legs can be revealed by sliding off this storage compartment.
- Stable, sturdy, compact, user-friendly
- Has more than essential number of stitches
- Can sew several layers of fabrics
- Quite heavy for your kids
|Dimensions:||15 x 7.5 x 12 inches|
|Key features:||- A mechanical sewing machine with metal chassis|
- 32 built-in stitches including 1 buttonhole
- Automatic needle threader, free arm, high presser foot lifter, reverse lever, adjustable stitch width and length
- Maximum stitch speed of 750 SPM
Varmax Mini Sewing Machine
(Best With Extension Table)
Normally a space saver but can provide a comfortable workspace when needed, Varmax mini sewing machine is a mini-sized sewing machine coming with an extension table.
This machine provides 2-thread seams to make sure the firm seams on the cloth. For the safety of your children, this machine has 2 speeds to choose from.
A cuff slot is designed on the bedplate of this machine so that the kids can easily sew around shape-tubed items such as sleeves and pant legs.
Varmax mini sewing machine comes with an extension table. When mounted to the machine, this table enhances its stability while sewing and provides a large space for bigger projects. A built-in light featured on the sewing area will help your kids sew in detail.
- Lightweight, portable, has speed control
- Large and bright workspace
- Made of flimsy plastic
- Only produces straight stitches
|Model:||Varmax Mini Sewing Machine with Extension Table|
|Dimensions:||6.9 x 3.5 x 8.6 inches|
|Key features:||- Double-thread, double-speed, cuff slot|
- Large and brightly lit sewing area
NEX Sewing Machine
(Best For Making Crafts)
More than its toy-alike appearance, Nex Sewing machine is a true sewing device with advanced features to help your children make the most beautiful crafts.
Nex sewing machine surprises your children with 12 built-in stitches including straight, curvy stitches and a buttonhole. Those stitches are selected by dialing the pink knob on the front of the machine.
A reverse lever in pink color is to help the kids reinforce their uneven seams.
This tiny machine can tackle a maximum 5 layers of denim, which is quite remarkable! And it also has a cuff slot to sew sleeves and trouser legs.
Your kids can bring this sewing machine anywhere thanks to the built-in carrying handle on the top of the machine.
This machine uses 2 separate sources of power that are batteries and a DC 6V 1200mA adapter.
- Provides a verity of stitches, can tackle medium thicknesses of fabrics
- Easy to handle, lightweight, portable
- Bright workspace
- 2 power supplies
- Made of flimsy plastic, looks a bit cheap
- Hard to thread
|Dimensions:||10.6 x 4.7 x 9 inches|
|Key features:||- 12 stitches including 1 buttonhole, tension control|
- 2 speeds (high/low), 2 switches to start the machine (hand switch or foot pedal), cuff slot, drawer included, carrying handle
- Built-in thread trimmer and LED light
KPCB Mini Sewing Machine
(Best Mini Machine)
KPCB Mini Sewing Machine is made of eco-friendly material. It’s not only durable but also safe for your children.
KPCB sewing machine can be charged from batteries or adapter. The adapter was recognized by reputation safety listings such as UL/ETL/CE so you can let your kids charge the sewing machine on their own.
There is a detachable table coming with this sewing machine. When mounted to the machine, this table supports the stability and enables the free motions of your hands.
Thanks to the foot pedal, the kids can focus on adjusting the cloth with 2 hands.
When you turn on the machine, the automatic bobbin winder will start right away. There are 2 speeds (high/low) for your kids to choose from.
- Small-sized, lightweight, compact, portable
- Safe for kids’ use
- Can vibrate and generate a bit of noise when working without the table
- Only produce straight stitches
|Model:||KPCB mini sewing machine|
|Dimensions:||8.6 x 3.5 x 6.9 inches|
|Key features:||- Double speeds, straight stitches, multiple electrical operating, automatic bobbin winding|
- Safe power supply, large worktable
WADEO Mini Sewing Machine
Can follow kids anywhere from home to sewing classes, Wadeo mini sewing machine is versatile and portable
Wadeo is a small-sized sewing machine that provides you with straight seams. However, this machine is featured with a 2-line design to give you high-standard sewing.
There are 2 speeds your kids can choose from. They can go slow or fast to adapt to their sewing level.
To start the machine, the kids can push a button switch or press on the foot pedal. A built-in bulb will help your children see clearer on dark fabrics.
- Lightweight, portable, easy to control
- Bright work environment, convenient features
- 2 sources of power
- Only provides straight stitches
- Made of flimsy plastic
|Model:||Wadeo mini sewing machine|
|Dimensions:||8.6 x 3.5 x 6.9 inches|
|Key features:||- Double speeds, straight stitches, 2 power supplies, automatic bobbin winding|
- Thread trimmer, built-in yellow bulb
HAITRAL Portable Sewing Machine
(Best For Small Projects)
Comes in a very small package, Haitral Portable sewing machine works the best on small projects.
This sewing machine can fit in any bag thanks to its small size and light weight. Since it’s so small, it can’ perform on heavy-duty projects but to small ones such as gloves, handkerchief, crafts etc.… it invades.
Kids can start the machine by pressing on the on/off button or kick in the foot pedal. They can choose the suitable speed (high/low) to make sure they can control their stitching speed without ruining the seams.
This machine is featured with a bulb to illuminate the details of dark fabrics.
- Mini-sized, portable, lightweight
- Works perfectly on small projects
- Can be charged from 2 types of power supply
- Made of flimsy, unreliable plastic
- No cuff slot
|Model:||Haitral Portable sewing machine|
|Dimensions:||7 x 8.5 x 3.5 inches|
|Key features:||- Double speeds, straight stitches, can be powered by batteries of adapter|
- Thread trimmer, built-in bulb
Singer 4423 Sewing Machine
(Best For Heavy Duty Projects)
Constructed on a heavy-metal chassis with a powerful motor, Singer Heavy Duty 4423 can tackle the toughest fabrics.
There are 23 built-In stitches including basic, decorative stitches and 1 buttonhole in this machine. 2 knobs on the front of the machine are to select stitch styles and to adjust the stitch length.
Thanks to the stainless-steel needle plate, this machine releases a very smooth sewing motion.
The 4423 is a good companion of your kids to provide them convenient features such as built-in needle threader and top drop-in bobbin.
This machine can sew at a maximum speed of 1100 SPM. If your children are used to the sewing machine, they’ll enjoy how fast the machine helps them to complete their needlework.
- Durable, lightweight, compact
- Easy-to-use appearance and control.
- Fast and durable in sewing
- Comes with a lot of extra feet
- No speed controls
- Hard to thread
|Model:||Heavy Duty 4423|
|Dimension:||15.5 x 6.2 x 12 inches|
|Key features:||- A mechanical sewing machine built on a heavy-duty frame|
- 23 built-in stitches including 1 buttonhole, 4 presser feet
- Top drop-in bobbin, adjustable stitch length, free arm, automatic reverse
- Maximum stitch speed: 1100 SPM
Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
(Best For Beginners)
If your children have just started sewing and are looking for a proper sewing machine to fulfill some basic sewing tasks, Singer Start 1304 can be the answer.
Singer Start 1304 sewing machine has only 6 basic stitches that are manually selected by the simple turn of a dial: Straight, Satin, ZigZag, Blind Hem, Scallop, 4-Step Buttonhole. The stitch length and stitch width are preset making it an ideal tool for children who got no ideas complicated settings.
The 4-Step Buttonhole feature allows the kids to add buttonholes on projects like sewing clothes.
You can access Free Arm by sliding off the removable extension table and start sewing around trousers and sleeves.
- Lightweight, durable, stable working
- Easy to control with crucial stitches for starters
- Quick & easy threading
- Default stitches width and length
- The needle can’t tackle heavy-duty projects
- Bobbin jam happens quite often
|Dimensions:||13 x 7 x 11.5 inches|
|Key Features:||- 6 basic stitches and 4-step buttonhole with simple controls|
- Stainless steel bedplate provides smooth fabric feed for even sewing
- Dual spool pins for twin needle sewing, free arm, and removable extension table
Jeteven Sewing Machine
When it comes to a gift for your children, Jeteven Handheld Sewing Machine proves that it is a great choice for your kids to start a new useful hobby.
Coming in pink color, Jeteven handheld sewing machine looks a bit toy-alike but it can really work from delicate to heavy-duty.
Thanks to its compactness, your children can easily manage to sew things up without feeling tired. Kids can sew their clothes without taking them off since this handheld machine is made to perform in tricky situations.
It works well with small projects like crafts or pillows, which will satisfy your kids and accompany them in expanding their creativity.
The power switch is enhanced with a safety lock to secure the safety of your children.
This machine can be charged by batteries and an adapter so there is no worries about blackout or no electricity available places.
- Easy to control and handle, 2 power supplies
- Youthful color and rich in accessories
- Compact, lightweight, portable
- The knot is tied manually
- Only produces straight, single-stitch seams
|Dimensions:||8.7 x 3.5 x 2 inches|
|Key features:||- Youthful color, great adaptability to many fabrics|
- Can sew in challenging situations
- Can operate with 4 batteries or be charged through an adapter
Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine
(Best For Teenagers)
Comes in many youthful colors, lightweight and easy to operate, Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine can act as a trendy décor in any teenagers’ room.
Janome Arctic Crystal Sewing Machine is a great little sewing machine built on heavy-metal chassis in Janome colorful series. This machine is suitable for entry-level and especially children to start the first seams with no struggles.
This machine equips your kids with 15 built-in stitches including a 4-step buttonhole, which are enough to quickly fix clothes and create small crafts.
Some customizable features on this machine allow your children to personalize their sewing such as a stitch length and zigzag width adjustor and a reverse lever.
The 3-piece feed dogs enable smooth fabric feeding.
By removing the accessory compartment on the bedplate, you’ll reveal a free arm to sew around cylindrical items such as sleeves and trouser legs.
- Lightweight, portable yet not flimsy
- Comes in many choices of colors
- Stiff control wheel
- Built-in light quality is average
|Dimensions:||16 x 7 x 12 inches|
|Key Features:||- 15 built-in stitches with reverse lever, 3-piece feed dog system, vertical spool pins|
- Free arm and accessory container, 4 presser feet
- Maximum Sewing Speed: 800 SPM
- Maximum Stitch Length: 4mm
- Maximum Stitch Width: 5mm
Janome Graceful Sewing Machine
Janome Graceful will surprise you with its strong performance despite its petite outlook and especially its safety.
Comes in multiple youthful colors, Janome Graceful apparently tickles your children’s fancy at the first look. It serves the most basic needs in sewing and is a perfect fit for children to learn fundamental skills.
Janome Graceful has 11 built-in stitches including straight, zigzag, crescent that are alphabetically aligned on the machine body.
Thanks to the threading diagrams, children won’t be confused to thread. With assistance from the smart bobbin set-up system, children can check up the capability of thread.
A reverse lever built on the front of the machine is to help kids to reinforce their inexperience seams.
- Lightweight, portable, friendly configuration, safeguard on presser foot for children
- Great for entry-level and work perfectly on small, quick-fix projects
- No built-in light and automatic needle threader
- Looks flimsy and toy-alike
|Dimensions:||10.5 x 5 x 9 inches|
|Key Features:||- 11 built-in stitches, threading diagrams, top drop-in bobbin|
- Featured with free arm and extra storage for accessories
Brother CS6000i Sewing Machine
If your kids are interested in sewing and want to elevate their skills, it’s time for you to invest to a real workhorse like Brother CS6000i
Brother CS6000i is a computerized sewing and quilting machine. It has an automatic needle threader that reduces eye fatigue and save set-up time.
Kids will find it easy to thread thanks to the instructional threading diagram printed on the top of the machine.
Brother CS6000i provides 60 built-in stitches including utility, decorative and buttonholes. This quantity is enough for your children to advance their sewing level yet won’t flood them.
By pressing on the button in the control panel, children can select their preferred stitches and see them displayed on the LCD screen. A slider to adjust speed is located right below the stitch selectors.
At the same place as the bobbin spool, you can find a bobbin winding diagrams to follow. This machine comes with a removable table that can provide your kids with a large sewing space while dealing with large projects.
- Computer-programmed features, brightly lit workspace, user-friendly
- Lightweight yet stable while working
- Rich in accessories and stitches
- Hard to adjust thread tension
|Dimensions:||16 x 6.7 x 11.4 inches|
|Key Features:||- A computerized sewing and quilting machine|
- Automatic needle threader, LCD screen, LED work light, easy bobbin winding system
- 60 built-in stitches including 7 buttonholes, 1 detachable table, 9 presser feet, 1 hard case
A few things to keep in mind before you down the money for a kid’s sewing machine:
- Straight stitch: This is the standard stitch style and featured in all types of sewing machines. For children, they just need to get used to the sewing machine, so the straight stitch is enough for them to practice on the fabric.
- Built-in light: To avoid children suffering from eye problems, parents should pay attention to the sewing machine with lights. Built-in lights help children see better in low light conditions and illuminate their seams on dark cloth.
- Speed control: like adults, children need to practice sewing at a slow speed first. Slow speed will also be safer for children and avoid destroying the piece of cloth they are sewing.
- Easy threading and easy bobbin winder: children are relatively slow in responding to troubles and awkward in small jobs. Without an easy threading system and easy bobbin winder, the sewing machine will be more frustrating and more likely to fail because the child is struggling to use it.
- Compact and lightweight: This is important because the sewing machine should be designed to suit the child's size, making them easier to handle.
My Top Pick
I bet we share a common choice when it comes to the best sewing machine for children. That must be the Singer Simple 3232.
Singer Simple 3232 is a portable sewing machine that can follow your children to classes and anywhere. With a handful of available stitches, this machine allows your kids to not only sew but also create a beautiful patchwork.
The maximum sewing speed is 750 SPM which is not too high and compatible with kids’ use. Singer Simple 3232 provides a built-in automatic reverse to help your children reinforce their inexperienced seams.
I hope Singer Simple 3232 will be the right choice for your tiny humans. But I also hope to have a penny for your thoughts on what the best sewing machines for kids are. Don't hesitate to share your opinions by leaving the comment below!