Make :: DIY Picnic Cutlery wraps- free pattern
Would you like to take these cute cutlery wraps with you on your picnic? They are great to give to each person as they pick up a plate of food. There's a pocket for your napkin, a separate pocket for 3 pieces of cutlery and a itty bitty pocket on the front to put your little things in such as individual sachets of salt and pepper- tie it all up, grab your plate and off you go!
2 separate pieces of fabric 63cm (24 1/2") x 16.5cm (6 1/4")- for the main part of the wrap
1 fabric rectangle 21.5cm (8 1/4") x 16.5cm (6 1/4")- for serviette holder
1 fabric rectangle 13.5cm (5")x 14.5cm (5 1/2")- for the front pocket
80 cm (31") Ribbon
Instructions- all seam allowances are 1.5 cm (1/2")
1. Cut out fabric squares as shown above
Finish off raw edges of the other end of the fabric. This is the point if you would like to add a ribbon along the top edge of the holder. If choosing to add a ribbon accent. Turn fabric over to right side. Place ribbon along the edge that has been hemmed, pin and secure with a straight stitch.
2. Take one large rectangular wrap piece, measure 15 cm (5 1/2") from the bottom. Take your serviette holder, right sides facing together, place the unhemmed edge 15cm from bottom of wrap piece. The serviette holder should be placed so the piece is facing downwards and overhanging the wrap piece (please see large photo below to see correct placement). Pin. Straight stitch along base of serviette holder attaching the holder to the wrap.
Flip fabric up, so fabric is right side up and press. This is what you should have.
2.Take your fabric for your sachet holder. Finish raw edges along the top and bottom and sides. Hem along the top with a 1.5cm hem allowance. On the other 3 sides, press a 1.5 cm hem to the wrong side.
3. Take the other large rectangular wrap piece- right side up. Place sachet holder 3cm from short, bottom edge, right side facing up. If using fabric with a design, make sure the design is facing towards the longer, remaining strip of fabric- see photo.
4. Take your ribbon and cut 2 lengths- 25 cm (9 1/2") and 35cm (13")
5. Take your wrap piece with the sachet pocket attached. From top of piece (the end with out the sachet pocket), measure 30 cm (11 1/2") down from top on the right side of the wrap, place ribbons facing inwards- leave a 2-3cm overhang (see diagram). If using ribbons with a pattern, make sure that the right sides are facing each other
6. Place serviette wrap piece on top of sachet pocket wrap piece- right sides facing each other. Make sure ribbon is placed inside, except for the 2-3 cm overhanging the edges. Pin.
7. Straight stitch along the top half of the wrap- stopping 15 cm down each side. Clip the corners.
Take the top flap and fold down 13cm.
9. Turn wrap right way out through the opening. Press cutlery wrap and seams. Whip stitch hole closed.
....and TA-DA! Your finished cutlery wrap. Put in your napkin, cutlery, salt and pepper sachets and you're ready to go.